Recently, however, I have started to look at things with a new perspective. The problem is not that people are self-conscious and superficial about they way they look (Well, sometimes this is actually true). The reason people care is because they want to feel special. They want to be a 'somebody', they want to be noticed. You can live your life wearing sweatpants, chilling with no makeup on, and be a nobody. Because that's how I always felt when I did that. I was a nobody. Sure it seems depressing and completely ridiculous, but it's true! Whenever I would dress up I would have a burst of confidence and I knew my true personality was beginning to reveal itself. I was always hiding behind the false pretense that 'I know who I am and I don't need to look like a supermodel to show it.' Of course you don't actually need to look like a supermodel...that's taking it a little too far. I know people who dress down all the time for the exact reason I was saying: to hide from the world and blend in with the crowd. One thing I learned is that you should never try and cover up your true self from this world, because if you do then you always end up with the wrong people in your life. Obviously if you are completely comfortable with who you are and you feel amazing no matter how you look then that is amazing and you should not try and change yourself! Living life as a teenager, a girl (or anyone really) is about being comfortable in your own skin and not letting your insecurities get to you.So now I try and improve myself physically in order to seem like myself again (Not in a shallow way, I'm not like that). I do it to look my insecurities in the eyes and tell them to *BEEP* OFF! I do it so other people know that I am a somebody. I do it so I know that I am a somebody. That's the most important part. Looking good means feeling good, and when I feel good I know that I am important. I matter.
Stand out, be different, but never hide who you really are.
A Stranger's Sentiment,
S.B.
No comments:
Post a Comment